What is the name of the special effects techniques where stuff is painted directly onto the film?

I'm not talking about matte paintings, where backgrounds and assorted scenery are (sometimes) painted onto the film. I'm talking about a different, cheaper, and possibly related technique where simpler things like laser blasts, lightning bolts, and sometimes even pyrotechnics are painted onto the film using single-color paint. It had a very distinctive luminescent 2-dimensional look that made it easily recognizable and showed up a lot in low budget science fiction films in the 1950s and thereabouts.
Asked Mar 17, 2016

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.