Can a canadian with r-1 status start another business?

I am currently a canadian student in the US. Im planning on switching to a R-1 visa (temporary religious worker) but I was also wondering if I can legally start my own business or eventually franchise on the side? Would I need another or different visa for that?
Asked Oct 18, 2014

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.