Can I change my daughter's last name to mine if father refuses?

My daughter's father has not seen her in over 3 years. and he refuses to. he also does not pay child support. I heard that I can have a petition filed for name change. But do I still need his approval?
Asked Feb 05, 2014
In my state they will send him paper asking him to sign to have her name change. If he fights having it changed then it probably won't be, but if he ignores it then they'll usually grant your request and let you change it. You should try to get some child support. I know what your going through. My first borns dad is a dead beat. Luckily, he has a real dad. Even if its not his sperm donor. I hope you find the same thing for her and yourself one day. Good luck! <3
Answered Feb 12, 2014

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.