Is is possible to get enrolled in law school having only highschool diploma in hands?

I've encountered this scenario many times and just recently had a conversation with a know-it-all lead. His highest level is Highschool and planning to get enrolled in law school. When asked what degree he roots to get into, he told me DOCTORATE. So I gave the necessary rebuttal, that he needs masters first, and with masters he needs bachelors so on. Then he hung up on me.

I wonder if it's necessary to ask for the specific degree if upon their knowledge they could go to a pre-law or law school although they only have diploma. I mean, most probably they would say "Phd" coz that is the highest and being in law school, they perhaps think, is already superior. Some of them actually told me: "No, I dont need a degree to be in law school, there are schools that help you go direct to law school". Or "(when asked for the degree) Maybe Phd coz law is something on top."
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Asked Aug 01, 2013
Edited Aug 01, 2013

It all depends on the requirements of the state or country where you live. In the US you can get a bachelors then continue on to law school and take the bar exam after earning a Master of Laws degree or you can continue beyond that and get a Juris Doctorate (JD).

There was a time, not far back that you could work in a lawyer's office and "read law" without going to law school. If you passed the bar exam you were allowed to practice. My brother-in-law did that 25 years ago. Today, all of the states I know of require a law degree to take the test.

My advice to you would be to first look at the requirements for the state or country where you would practice and start from there. Make sure you clearly understand the criteria the law school has to meet also if you are considering an on-line school. You can get that information from the bar association in that state.
Answered Aug 01, 2013

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.