25 lb Dog Ate Slice of Chocolate Cake 24 Hours Ago; Still Vomiting/Diarrhea

The night before yesterday, we had some unfinished chocolate cake that my dad put out into the yard waste bucket outside, but we accidentally left it uncovered, so, of course, our dog got into it.

Beginning from that night he's been having diarrhea, and starting from yesterday afternoon has vomited a couple times. He's a 25 lb American Eskimo and I want to say that the slice of cake was not more than the size of my hand, but it was pretty dense and chocolate-y. It's been over 24 hours now and he has not had any tremors or panting or shock-like behavior and his heart rate is fairly normal, his gums pink. He was energetic and happy yesterday when we went on a long walk, but lethargic today, as I assume the vomiting, etc, has tired him out. Apart from the diarrhea and vomiting, he has not exhibited any other symptoms. We'll try feeding him a bland, light diet and we've made sure to give him access to alot of fluids.

Because it's been so long, I'm wondering if it's necessary to take him to the vet at this point, as its too late to induce puking and administering charcoal should have little effect as most of it has already gone through his system. I'm just worried if his stomach is still really upset it is a sign of pancreatitis or there is still poison in his system?

Please let me know anything I can do. Any advice is much appreciated.
daisychen36
Asked May 21, 2013
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Take him to the vet.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2011/07/is-chocolate-poisonous-to-dogs/
Rob
Answered May 21, 2013
Yes! Immediately...

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.

Categories