I am engaged to a man who owes some back child support.

I am engaged to a man who owes some back child support. I have heard of stories where ORS could possibly garnish my wages even before we are married if they prove we are living together. Is this true? What about if we do get married? Is ORS allowed to garnish my wages then? Also wondering if they can take my taxes even if we file separately? The original child support order was in Utah. Both he and I are now living in Wyoming.
Asked Feb 27, 2013
In cases where the state is providing support services for children, a stepparent isn't required to pay unless ordered by a judge so it doesn't make sense that a fiance would have to pay.

"A stepparent is not required by law to pay a support obligation for stepchildren unless he/she adopts the child in care. However, in accordance with Utah Code Annotated 78-3a-906, the juvenile court judge may order the parents or any other obligated person (e.g. stepparent) to pay child support for the child in care."


You can ask this question at their policy information office, email below:

Child Support Policy Information
[email protected]
Answered Feb 27, 2013

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.