I owe federal taxes will they keep my state taxes

i owe federal taxes will they keep my federal and state taxes
Asked Mar 10, 2010
No,state only takes for states(ex.if you owe the courts;traffic,city,civil).Federal only takes for federal(ex.taxes,child support,criminal courts,DES overpayments, unemployment overpayments,restitution,student loans).They will send you a letter prior to taking it.If you are married and the bill owed(ex. a student loan) belongs to the other spouse your should file an injured spouse form with your taxes and that way they only take about half of it.Talk with your tax person or call both the State Tax Office and the IRS and they will send you out information on what types of bills and which one of them gets it.I always get free information sheets,booklets,etc. from any place I go(the store,food stamp office,library,school,hospital,food bank,etc) because I have found that either I need it later on or someone I know does.Its free so you might as well take it.Good luck and God bless.
Answered May 09, 2010
no they normally wont even look to touch it.
Answered Oct 22, 2010

This is a complicated question, and the answer will vary depending on your situation. Luckily, there are tax experts who can help! Here is a list of things to ask yourself before contacting an accountant:
-What do YOU owe in federal taxes?
-What type of income are you receiving (Current Income)
-Do I plan on making any money (Capital Gains or Dividends) from my investments?
-Am I starting a business venture?

*Even if you don't think you have taxable "income" for this year, it's still worth asking because many types of income might not be taxable initially but could become taxable later.* You may also want to contact an accountant.

For more information go here. https://filingtaxes.ca/
Answered Jun 26, 2021

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.