In Scotland, what Higher qualifications do you need to study acting?

In Scotland the schools are very different and I was wondering what Higher qualifications I would need to get into university and what universities are availble for me to study acting in Scotland?
Asked Mar 06, 2013
It depends on what aspect of acting specifically interests you. If you want to take to the stage yourself and learn to act, a more vocational Acting or Drama course at a college might be more your thing. Universities generally take a more academic approach and you would be more likely to be studying something like Drama or English Literature whilst getting practical experience through student productions as an extra-curricular activity.

Most colleges will recruit based on an audition rather than grades, though they may expect you to have at least passed Highers in English and/or Drama.

Two of the more modern Universities in Scotland offer a full four year "Acting" degree: Edinburgh Napier ask for Highers at BBCC (including B in English). Edinburgh Queen Margaret ask for BBBB.

Otherwise seriously consider a degree in Drama or Literature at one of the more established universities like Glasgow or Edinburgh. Required grades will vary based on course and location, though you're probably looking at something more like ABBB to be able to apply, and probably needing to sit Advanced Highers in English and Drama to maximise your chance at being accepted. These degrees will give you a more-rounded educations however, and student drama societies at the big universities offer excellent opportunities to get involved in theatre productions.
Answered Mar 07, 2013
Edited Mar 07, 2013

TIP: If it's not your answer to this question, please click "Leave a Comment" button under the question to communicate with the question owner.